Full-Time SCWO Technician
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Duke University, Durham, NC
Starting August 1 – September 1, 2018
Supercritical Water Oxidation (SCWO) technology - Background Information:
The Supercritical Water Oxidation (SCWO) system has been built to provide a clean, sustainable and affordable decentralize sanitation solution for the developing world. Supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, over the past 5 years, we have been developing a system that can treat any organic waste and convert it all the way to clean water in seconds.
More than 30% of the world’s population lacks access to clean water and good sanitation. In developed countries, infrastructure is aging, treatment plants are running out of capacity, while many of the current technologies generate additional pollution. SCWO is the next generation of sanitation and waste treatment. It is designed to improve the health and life expectancy of people all over the world while protecting the environment they live in.
Join our team and assist in pushing the science of this revolutionary system
- Work on an exciting technology that spreads across multiple disciplines; mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, wastewater treatment, and automation.
- Be a contributing member. Your work will be engaging and vital to the operation of the system. Join a great team of people invested in their work.
- Make a difference in the world. Once deployed, our system will be an industry game changer, offering an effective sanitation solution at an affordable price to those who need it most.
Job duties for SCWO technicians
- Operating the unit using the system’s HMI (interface)
- Collect samples and perform lab tests
- Troubleshoot and perform repairs when necessary
- Analyze data and write reports
We are currently seeking motivated applicants interested in full time work. A technical background or familiarity with industrial processes and equipment is a plus. Applicants should work well alone and in small teams. A big focus of the developing process over the course of the next year will be running the unit 24/7. The job may require working evening/ night shifts.
If this unique opportunity sounds like something you’d be interested in, send your resume/CV to
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to:
Shelly Eisen Livneh - Project Manager, Pratt School of Engineering, Duke University
Duke University is committed to fostering a diverse educational environment and encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups. Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.